Basically, I’m giving you a 101 on not being a racist douche this Halloween.
- HERE IS A REMINDER THAT PoC aren’t PoC because of what they wear but because of how they’re born. As in, Pakistanis are still Pakistanis even if they’re not wearing kamees shalwars and other culturally desi clothes.
- So don’t dress up as an Indian. Or Native American. Or Black person of any kind. Or Arab. Or any ethnicity or race or race group at all, because that’s really offensive and degrading.
- You may dress up as people though. If you insist on dressing up as some PoC, then do a specific person.
- Cosplay. Pretend you’re cosplaying, and dress up as a specific character/person, not a culture and thus be racist.
- That means (drumroll) you can go research history (!) and dress up as a famous PoC. Provided you don’t dress in a way that’s demeaning to said person.
- And then you can tell people about your person and everyone will think you know a lot except us PoC but at least you’re not wearing a “Indian costume” or whatever.
- And don’t do fucking blackface. Or brownface.
- “But-” Nope. Nope. NOPE. Don’t do it. EVER EVER EVER.
- Yes, even if you’re dressing as a historical PoC person (make it someone who was ovbiously and widely recognized because of how they dressed?) don’t do black face or brown face.
- Okay? Good.
- And don’t do things like say you’re some Muslim person and tape pictures of guns and bombs to yourself because you’re horrible and wrong and ignorant and need to go educate yourself.
- Also because you look ridiculous.
- And keep your dogs safe because I hear there’s a horrid campaign against pitbulls on Halloween.