bell hooks resources
Some of the work bell hooks’ has done as available on the internet for personal education and reference. Certain books that were up are gone and I’m looking about finding them again. In the meantime if you need them, contact me by leaving a message with your email address in the submissions box and I’ll email them to you. If you find anything, please contact me as well. The most updated version of this list will always be here.
- Ain’t I a Woman (pdf)
- All About Love: New Visions (pdf. I do not have a copy of this! If you do, I’d like it emailed to me for backup?)
- Art on my Mind (ask through email)
- Beauty Laid Bare: Aesthetics in the Ordinary (google doc)
- Black Looks: Race and Representation (pdf)
- Black Women Intellectuals (pdf) (from Breaking Bread: Insurgent Black Intellectual Life with Cornel West)
- "Choosing the Margin as a Space of Radical Openness" (pdf) (from Yearning: Race, Gender, and Cultural Politics)
- "Cool Cynicism" (pdf) (from Reel to Real
- Cultural Criticism and Transformation (youtube video, part 1)
Also: Transcript (pdf)
- Eating the Other: Desire and Resistance (page 366 or type in page 406 of 795)
- Ending Domination: The Struggle Continues (youtube video, full)
- "Feminism: A Movement to End Sexist Oppression" (pdf) (from Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center)
- Feminism Is For Everybody: Passionate Politics (pdf)
- "Feminist Class Struggle" (article, though pdf download available through the link) (as I understand, excerpted from Feminism is for Everybody)
- "Feminist Theory: A Radical Agenda" (pdf) (from Talking Back)
- "Ice Cube Culture: A Shared Passion for Speaking Truth" (ask through email) (chapter 12 from Outlaw Culture, an interview with ice cube)
- "Is Paris Burning?" (pdf) (Chapter 9 of Black Looks: Race and Representation
- Killing Rage: Ending Racism (pdf) and the opening essay (pdf)
- Love as the Practice of Freedom (pdf)
- "Marginality as site of resistance" (pdf)
- Outlaw Culture: Resisting Representations (pdf—parts of the book, anyway)
- "Postmodern Blackness" (pdf) (from Yearning: Race, Gender, and Cultural Politics)
- Remembered Rapture: Dancing With Words (pdf)
- "Romance: Sweet Love" (pdf) (from Women’s Voices, Feminist Visions, 4th Ed. By S. Shaw and J. Lee)
- Selling Hot Pussy: Representations of Black Female Sexuality in the Cultural Marketplace. (pdf)
- "Straightening out Hair" (article)
- Talking Back: Thinking Feminist, Thinking Black (pdf)
- Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom (ask through email)
- The Oppositional Gaze: Black Female Spectators. (pdf)
- Understanding Patriarchy (pdf)
- Where We Stand: Class Matters (pdf) Also here.
- We Real Cool: Black Men and Masculinity (pdf).
- Her talk at Louis & Clark college from 1 February, 2006 here.
To note, this is meant in particular for those people who’d like to educate themselves but don’t have the resources to get these books for themselves. bell hooks has put a lot of work into these, and it would be horrible if you could afford to buy the books and didn’t.
Edit as of 16th June, 2013: list updated and alphabetized. Many thanks to wretchedoftheearth, elainecastillo, grim-dark, erosum, mmmajestic, andreaisace, ebookcollective, cantbereallif, ericstoller, sittinghereinbluejayway and other people through emails who all helped add links and resources.